What's the best incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cavendish Chickens, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay, in the spring I plan to hatch a new set of eggs. Last year I used a little giant (forget the kind... but the crappy one people don't really suggest), and only one of 6 eggs hatched. I plan on incubating plenty of eggs, and want a GOOD turn out this year. I plan to let my hen hatch them if she goes broody, but if she doesn't... I will be buying a new incubator with automatic turner to do the job. I would like to know the best incubator, temperature with the automatic turner, what to do with eggs and turner when it's time for lock down, etc. I want to do it right, and hatch all the babies. Thanks for all of your advice in advance! [​IMG]

2. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I bought an old antique Leahy 416 which hatches 416 eggs... not sure you want one that big but I'd suggest you get a Leahy if you can find one. It consistently hatches 80% hatch rates. If you put your eggs under a hen for a week then put them in incubator it goes up to about 90%. Learned that trick from Legg Pea Fowl dude. [​IMG]

Dave

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Both the Hovabator, Genesis 1588 and the Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance with Humidity control are wonderful.

I own one of each.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I have the Brinsea Octogon Eco 20 and I love that one too.

5. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    How much money do you want to spend?

If you're not incubating golden eggs, then the hovabator genesis is pretty good. I've had good enough hatches.

I did consult with some pro's and they said the Brinsea Ova-Easy line of cabinet incubators is the BEST (their opinion, not mine) Of course they start at around $750... before shipping... There are of course the giant ones that take up a whole room that would run in the thousands... I think one of the cabinets is the biggest a serious hobbyist would want or need.

I just got mine and the temp and humidity don't budge at all. I'm very happy. Check back in 21 days, and I'll tell you how it all works out!

It seems the Brinsea products have a loyal following. I had really decent success with my hovabators though. They just require more monitoring. If you do get one, also get a RELIABLE (ie, somewhat expensive) thermometer and hygrometer. I used a sub standard one from Home Depot for a long time, and only figured out later it's about 2 degrees off. I'm still not sure how reliable the hygrometer is.

Even a cheap incubator with close monitoring can be quite effective. I'm more of a "set it and forget it" kinda guy.

6. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    So far, two votes for Brinsea. I've heard good things about the hovabator too. I will have to see where I can get one of these good bators. The store closest to me only sells that little giant, and it sucked. Still air, and cost $60 plus tax. I don't mind the still air. It's just that the little giant didn't do a very good job. One of six hatched, and the temp fluctuated a LOT. More than I expected. I want a good bator that will do an excellent job this time around. I only have one hen that is a breed that goes broody, and hasn't yet. She's still young. Hatched around June 12th, but has laid about 3 dozen eggs since the day after thanksgiving. We kept count of her eggs last week and she laid 6, only missing one day. So she's a good layer. We only have two hens to the one rooster, which is why we plan to hatch more chicks. Keep the females, and sell the males. Well... hopefully sell the males. If not... I don't know what to do with them. We don't have a spot for bachelor roo's, and we don't butcher. Hmm.... lol

7. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I have to recommend the Hovabator, Genesis 1588 with automatic turner, I've had wonderful success with it, it holds temp and humidity easily. I've never had to adjust the temp and had some really awesome hatch rates using it.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Ok here's the skinny from my point of view. You cannot go wrong with a hovabator or brinsea. Period. Little Giants are HORRID bators, may as well make your own and probably have a better product. R-coms are great too, but more on the pricey side.

Depending on what your budget is, you CAN find a hovabator or brinsea within your price range.

9. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Bailey... I don't want to spend too much. I couldn't imagine spending that much money. I plan to hatch a large clutch, some from my two hens, and a bunch of silkies. Enough eggs to fit into a regular sized, small, incubator. Like the little giant I had. Maybe 6 from each of my two hens, and a dozen or so silkie eggs.

10. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    There are also lots of great plans here for ones you can make yourself. I'm just not mechanically/electrically/power tool inclined. If you or someone you know is, I bet you can make a really reliable one quite inexpensively!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by