What's the best material for ground cover in the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by krudolph, Jun 28, 2011.

1. krudolph

krudolph Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    southern Indiana
    We have a 16 X 8 run attached to our coop. When we built it in '09 we put sand down for the ground cover. Over time, it got nasty, of course, working into the dirt, with rain, poo, etc. So then we put down some "hatite" (similar to pea gravel, much lighter) over the top that we had left over from a landscaping redo. The girls have scattered that everywhere and we're back to a big mess. I need some suggestions on what we can use. I read that some people use gravel with sand on top. What do you guys think? If that's the case, I have some serious work to do, digging out the mess that's there and replacing. But I'd like something that will last longer and won't have to be reworked all the time. Suggestions, please?

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have my coop in a low spot in the yard and simply filled it the depth of the 4x4 allweather base with peagravel. During breakup, the yard floods abot 2 - 3 inches deep of water and the chickens are dry. Maybe you can surround the run with 2x6 all weather wood and fill it with pea gravel. This will allow drainage and keep the birds out of the mud. It may eventually work into the mud but will creat a solid base for the future (kinda like a gravel drive)

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I'd put in more sand. It's not like you put it in once anyhow, you always wind up adding.

4. krudolph

krudolph Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    southern Indiana
    Thank you for your suggestions. My husband is leaning toward "creek gravel" as is readily abundant in our area and cheaper. But sounds like gravel/sand is the way to go. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by