Whats the best medicine to treat my flock for coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, May 19, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I found out that my chicks are dieing of coccidiosis, I can't get to the feedstore tell Saturday which stinks but I can't. What would be the best meds for them. I have to about 35-40 birds, including chicks. Plus cheaper would be better, but I guess I dont care if my chickens lifes are on the line... please help.
    Oh and once I treat them do I have to wash the coop, or will it be ok?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Corid or Sulmet. Corid is better unless you can't find it.

3. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Sulmet is about $9 for 16 ounces. You only need 2 tablespoons per gallon, so it goes a long way. (You'll need to mix a fresh batch each day.) It only takes 1-3 days to get rid of Cocci.

Do you have a breeder or farmer near you? You might be able to implore someone to give you a little of theirs until Saturday.

Edit: You could also try Sulfasol (soluble powder antibacterial) if you can't find the above mentioned.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Any semblance of good new to report? I hope?

5. HorsebackandHappy

HorsebackandHappy Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Sulfadimethozine is the chemical/medicine name. I personally think corid is a joke! (based on use in goats, maybe it is better for chickens) We got our sulfadimethozine from Jeffers Pets. We got the packet of powder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by