What's the best mix

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by pjrmayo, Mar 3, 2011.

1. pjrmayo

pjrmayo Hatching

Mar 3, 2011
    My husband and I have been raising PBR pullets from Mt. Healthy Hatchery for a few years now. However this year we are thinking about taking advantage of their create a mix. I'm thinking PBR's, Hubbard Golden Comets, and something else (help here!). Will mixing breeds make for more of a pecking order mess especially if they are different sizes. And, I need a hearty breed as we live in Minnesota and while the coop is insulated, it still is cold in the winters!

Thanks!!
    Patti

2. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Apologies that your question was not answered.

Different breeds and sizes of chickens aren't really a concern, honestly. As long as they're raised together, any choice should do pretty well. [​IMG] Most common hatchery offered breeds do pretty well in cold climates too.

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    If I was starting over and just wanted some nice layers it would be:

Barred Plymouth Rock -well adaptable to confinement or free range; calm, docile; more easily handled

Buff Orpingtons -adaptable to free range; very adaptable to confinement; docile; more easily handled

Speckled Sussex -well adaptable to confinement or free range; calm; gentle; active; can be curious; more easily handled

Black Australorps -well adaptable to confinement or free range; calm, docile; more easily handled

Araucanas AKA EE's -well adaptable to confinement or free range; mostly calm, non-aggressive

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#n

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: