What's the best mix

pjrmayo

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
My husband and I have been raising PBR pullets from Mt. Healthy Hatchery for a few years now. However this year we are thinking about taking advantage of their create a mix. I'm thinking PBR's, Hubbard Golden Comets, and something else (help here!). Will mixing breeds make for more of a pecking order mess especially if they are different sizes. And, I need a hearty breed as we live in Minnesota and while the coop is insulated, it still is cold in the winters!

Thanks!!
Patti

dadsdeercamp

Say goodnight gracie
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Mora MN.
welcome-byc.gif

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
Apologies that your question was not answered.

Different breeds and sizes of chickens aren't really a concern, honestly. As long as they're raised together, any choice should do pretty well.
smile.png
Most common hatchery offered breeds do pretty well in cold climates too.

pdsavage

Sussex Monarch
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
NW,Missouri
If I was starting over and just wanted some nice layers it would be:

Barred Plymouth Rock -well adaptable to confinement or free range; calm, docile; more easily handled

Buff Orpingtons -adaptable to free range; very adaptable to confinement; docile; more easily handled

Speckled Sussex -well adaptable to confinement or free range; calm; gentle; active; can be curious; more easily handled

Black Australorps -well adaptable to confinement or free range; calm, docile; more easily handled

Araucanas AKA EE's -well adaptable to confinement or free range; mostly calm, non-aggressive

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#n

Last edited:

Top Bottom