what's the best place

Crickett

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Heart of Dixie
To buy / order ducks / geese? I don't want a lot, and I don't want to spend a bunch (budget) ,but I do want best value for the money. I was thinking three geese, and maybe 4-6 ducks?

To buy / order ducks / geese? I don't want a lot, and I don't want to spend a bunch (budget) ,but I do want best value for the money. I was thinking three geese, and maybe 4-6 ducks?
You could go on your states thread to start with, it's under "where am I where are you" post what your looking for and you may find a local breeder or someone who may just want to so some hatching and can't keep them all. Most likely it will be next spring before you'd find any but in the mean time you can read up on raising geese and ducks so you'll be prepared when you do get some.

I agree with Miss Lydia. And geese (babies) are hard to find this time of the year as a lot of geese are seasonal and only lay in the spring. But you may be able to find adults for sale if you check on here and your local craigslist. And you may be able to get your name on a list or send in a deposit to a breeder from this site to get put on a list for 2014 babies. But make sure you do your research and figure out what breeds you want and will work best for your environment.

Metzer farms is an excellent place to buy from if you are not looking for show quality and just want them for production and pets. They do small orders but you end up paying more for shipping on small orders than you do large orders.
Holderreads is great for that as well as show quality, but I don't think they sex birds. So if you need females that might not work for you. And I seem to think they may have an order minimum of 15 but you can check their website.
But if you NEED to get 15 to get a better shipping price (and sometimes its the safest way to ship them to ensure they stay warm enough during transit) ask around and see if there's anyone in your area that wants to split an order with you. Then you will save on shipping too as you can pay half and have them pay the other half. Win win!

Back
Top Bottom