What's the best pop door and timer?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aubreynoramarie, Aug 1, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I have to be to work at 6 am and now that the sun is coming up later I really worry about letting the girls out so early. What's the best solution for a door on a timer? Something solar powered would be good but I think in winter it would need battery back-up. Any suggestions on what I can do?

2. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Anybody? I did a search and found everyone mainly just talks about one brand that is going to cost almost 300 smackers! Yikes! I need two!
    There's got to be something cheaper. I mean seriously- 40 dollars for the door itself? It's a forking piece of plywood!

3. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    unfortunately that's all that is really out there unless you want to try and make one yourself

4. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:oh sheesh. okay then, i guess i am shoveling out 600 bucks. I start two jobs this month so if i dont it means that i will be coming home on my lunch from the first job to let them out, then coming home on my lunch for the second job to put them in. darn raccoons.

5. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    I hear ya. I'm currently unemployed and the girls are used to being let out around 10 am. I'm hoping that most of the laying will be done by then. However, when I start working I'll have to let them out early or convince my disinterested wife to do it. Chickens are not as convenient as we'd like sometimes. No way I'm paying $300 for a door though.

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:I don't really have a choice. We free range and have already had a raccoon attack in the middle of the night. So we fort knoxxed the coop. Problem is that when I am steadily working my two jobs, I will have to let them out at 5:30 am and bring them in at 10:00 pm. Plenty of dark time for a coon to strike. I figure building a large enough SECURE run would cost just as much and my girls would be less happy.

7. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Check on eBay. I bought the wells poultry unit with timer and the metal door off eBay for cheaper than buying from wells poultry web site.
    I just checked and they currently have the complete set up listed for 217 dollars plus 38 dollars to ship. That sounds about what I paid. I know it's a lot of money but it's a pretty sweet unit. Currently I am running mine just off solar sensor no use for timer yet. It is reliable. Birds are out at 5:30ish and door closes right now bout 8:30ish. My coop is within a secure run so no issues with time frame of operation. The door closes very slowly and in a controlled fashion. Very safe. It has a pressure sensor as well so if a bird was being touched by the door the door will not close on it and crush them. I love this unit. It is the only reason I can have the birds as I have two small children that would make my morning trips out to coop to let birds out otherwise unpredictable. They only thing I wish this system did have was a manual over ride button to shut the door if you didn't want the birds in coop for some reason during day while door is open. What I do is rest a board in front of pop door if I don't want them in coop while I'm cleaning it.
    There is another unit on eBay call the Chuckaway which is less costly but I obviously can't review that one since I don't have it. That one does have a manual over ride button. Which I think could be handy at times.
    Good luck. They are totally worth the money... [​IMG]
    I may post some pics of our unit. We enclosed within a protective box to keep dust out. My hubby did a nice job!

8. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    [​IMG]
    This is what you get for your 250 smackeroos! Freedom it provides is priceless![​IMG][​IMG]
    Picture of plexiglass surround to protect unit from dust and poo!Still no chicks in coop so no batteries in pop door opener yet! We're getting there!

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You can get the Add-a-motor D20(?) for $100 and make your own sliding door & get a timer to go with it. I have seen it for $79.99 plus shipping. My door is just waiting for this addition.

10. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    I have the Electronic Doorkeeper that everyone gets from Foye's but I bought mine from the company in Europe that makes them. It cost me less then ordering from Foye's and took about a week to get here. I didn't order a timer but for the door (12x15), motor with inside mount and light sensor I paid $218.00 including shipping. I like that it is battery operated, it was easy to install, I did it myself and am very happy with it. Here is the website http://axt-electronic.eu/us/
    Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by