Whats the best thermostat to use

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Mar 27, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    For home made cabinet incubators? I have one with a fan and all off the top of an old, hardly used foam bator. Would it work? Or is there something better?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a Hovabator 1588 so it's automatic for me.

Some folks swear by the wafer thermostats so that they can be adjusted.

Most folks prefer the pre-set electronic thermostats.

3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I ended up getting a reptile thermostat to regulate my heat lamp. It works fabulously.

[​IMG]

I have heard of others using wafer thermostats successfully.

I doubt the heating element out of the foam incubator would be sufficient for a cabinet incubator, but perhaps someone a bit more knowledgeable would like to chime in?

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:If you believe a water heater thermostat is the best please do not tell me you are getting 100% hatch rate.

If that was the case commercial bator makers would be using them.

(Why would they spend more money for anything else?)

LOL LOL and ROFTLAMAO

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Oh no I have a ceramic heat bulb for heating. The thermostat inside the foam bator was what I was asking about. It has a fan too. So I was just going to replace the heating unit that came with the hova bator with the bulb which is acctually for reptiles lol. It doesnt put off light so its great. And its safe to use in damp conditions. Its for a 100 gallon tank. If you can keep a 100 gallon tank heated and humid for snakes with it then Im sure it will work for a cabinet bator too. (I'm a snake breeder if you cant tell already.)

But no I was just making sure what kind of thermostat I need to use. The hovabator thermostat was hardly used. I only have the lid though or else I would use the hovabator. I use to have the whole thing but the bottom part got broke pretty bad during our move.

I have one of those reptile thermostats myself too, but it doesn't tell the exact heating number on it so its a guess till you get it right just like with the wafer thermostats. I really was hoping for a preset or a digital that shows the temp your setting it at. So I don't have to guess.

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:If you believe a water heater thermostat is the best please do not tell me you are getting 100% hatch rate.

If that was the case commercial bator makers would be using them.

(Why would they spend more money for anything else?)

LOL LOL and ROFTLAMAO

I would appreciate you being a little more polite, even if that comment wasn't addressed to me. You was quite rude with your attitude.

7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Quote:In that case, I think it should work fine. There are posts by someone who did use a digital control, you could try a search for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by