Whats the best thing to keep chicks on in the brooder?

Bantam Username

Songster
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
I used to keep my previous hens on sand inside the coop but they had grass in their run. I kept them on bird sand from when I first got them but they were fully fledged chicks when I got them, so am unsure what the best surface is for newly hatched chicks.
My brooder has a mesh bottom with a droppings tray underneath, but as the sides are perspex, I can easily cover the mesh with something if needs be.
jumpy.gif

I keep my newly hatched chicks on pine chips/shavings covered by paper towels for the first two weeks and then just on the chips/shavings (no paper towels).

welcome-byc.gif

Edited: Make sure they don't eat the paper towels.

Last edited:
agree, pine shavings covered with paper towels. I only use the paper towels for the first three days though, I haven't had a problem with them eating shavings after that.

no, I've NEVER seen the eat the paper towel, what you do is just lay it flat over the shavings and change it twice a day, pretty easy, you don't want the shavings to get stuck in the chicks throat, when there so little they will try to eat anything
D.gif

Yep, you use the paper towel to prevent them eating the shavings. I put in the disclaimer because I read about a person who has said that one of their chicks ate the paper towel.

Edited: I think that a chick eating the paper towel would be rare. They are more likely to eat the shaving.

Edited - Edited: Ha here it is a couple of post lower than this one (at this time) and below my answer (5th post).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=552667

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom