whats the best tom to hen ratio?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dragontamer56, Jul 7, 2011.

1. dragontamer56

dragontamer56 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    I just got 5 hens and a tom a couple of weeks ago and i was wondering what is the best ratio for them. Should i get another tom? I want to hatch out the eggs that are already in the incubator and keep about five hens and trade the tom i have now for another so not to cause inbreeding. I know that with tenhens i would need more than one.

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    A young Tom should be able to cover 10 hens no problem.

3. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Hey
    If you get another tom they'll fight.
    Unless the turkey didn't "pick" you. (They'll pick a person who they like most.)
    So you can risk it (they're not like roosters-- who will fight till death) but they will
    injure themselves pretty bad

Hope I helped,
    Jackie

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    The "best" ratio depends on what your goals are. If you want to establish some kind of rotational breeding schedule without having a huge flock, one-to-one might be the best thing. If you want to maximize the number of eggs with the fewest adults birds, you want lots of hens per tom. I keep very few birds over the winter, but I want unrelated birds. This year I am planing on keeping two toms and three hens, so that I will have unrelated lines next year without having too many eggs. I only want to have 20-30 birds at a time. If you keep five hens, and they all make nests, you could find yourself with 50 poults in a hurry one day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by