Whats the best Vine-like plant to plant near my hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HelloChicken, Nov 18, 2011.

1. HelloChicken

HelloChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I know there is a huge list of Do's and Don't plants somewhere on this site but I'm just wondering if anyone can give me their personal opinion on which plant is best?

The pen I have my hens in has a few holes or spots that worry me. I have patched them over but would like to have a vine like plant to twist along the pen and maybe give extra protection and make their pen a little prettier.

So any suggestions?

I was thinking trying cucumbers...? Has anyone planted anything like this around their hen pen?\\

Thank you all for replies ♥

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    If you wanted something to make the pen stronger I would go with a perennial vine like Trumpet vine. But don't rely on that to keep your birds safe - you should still patch it up with wire and be careful if your chicken run isn't netted in on top that the vine doesn't provide potential predators a ladder into your run and coop.

3. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    What about a rambling-type rose? Nice thorns and delicious rose hips!

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Maybe a grapevine. Then you'd have treats for the girls!

I might worry that a vine grown on the pen could hide a predators attempts to break in.

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    What part of the country are you in, its hard to recomend anything without that info.You could be in England ,Aussi,Alaska ,Arizona,or anywhere USA??? ...cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by