What's the best way to break an egg of an egg bound hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by velvet13, Dec 6, 2014.

1. velvet13

velvet13 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    I have a hen who's been egg bound for days and I have tried everything and still she cannot pass it. It is right at the vent so I can see it, does anyone have advice on how to break the egg?

2. missypebble

missypebble Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I think there are lots of posts on this forum about egg bound....have you tried giving her a warm bath and massaging her gently? You'll probably need to do this for at least 15 minutes or so (good time to truly bond with your hen as well! :) I hope things go well with your hen - keep us posted!

3. velvet13

velvet13 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Thank you, yes I have taken all measures and read many posts but none seem to describe actually removing the egg when necessary. Many advise to bring her to a vet at this point but this just is not feasible for me so I am trying to do the best I can. Any pointers are welcome, she has been egg bound for the better part of a week and she was getting very backed up with poop and her crop is now very hard, unfortunately I do not have high hopes for this ones survival :(

If she does turn around and get better I will update.

4. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    It sounds like you are going to lose your hen anyway if you do not try to break that egg.... i'd get something like a nail ...your going to need help, but break that egg.... good luck :)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try lubricating a gloved finger and trying to get the egg out whole. I have not experienced this, but occasionally there can be eggs that have been stuck for a long time that have coatings built up on the outside. She could probably use some calcium (calcium gluconate given orally, or a calcium tablet or Tums crushed and given in food) since egg binding is sometimes a symptom of low calcium. Avian vets have equipment for breaking the eggs and getting all of the contents out, since this is a risky procedure if egg shell is left inside the cloaca. And also try the warm shallow bath, massaging the abdomen toward the vent as missypebble suggested.

6. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Just wondering if you were able to save your hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by