1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the best way to candle when the eggs are outside?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smartie_Pants, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I need to bring them in to candle, because even when it gets dark at night it isn't dark enough for candleing. How can I bring them in without harming them? I don't want them to get to cold, that is my biggest concern. How long can they safely stay out from under the hen?

2. Hi! I just load them into egg cartons and bring them in and candle.

Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Me too. I just put them in my egg-gathering basket and bring them in. It won't hurt them to get cold for a short time. They will warm up again when you put them back under the hen. It won't effect the incubation.

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Why do you need to candle? If they are under a broody hen I just leave them, I do not candle. The hen will tell you if there's a bad egg, she will usually kick it out of the nest box.

5. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    That's how I thought about doing it. I certainly don't want to drop any! It shouldn't take that long to candle the six of them, so I think they'll be just fine.

6. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:This is really my first time hatching chicks, my experience is with ducks. There are several reasons why I'm candleing. One of the main ones is that I am making a photo album from the arrival of the eggs to hatch, and then on into adulthood. Veining is one of the first milestones.

7. The hen will tell you if there's a bad egg, she will usually kick it out of the nest box.

That's not reliable. None of my girls have ever kicked a bad egg out.
    In fact, I've had nasty rotten shipped eggs explode under broodies (some !@#$ sent me old eggs).
    Just be careful. Everything in your path will reach out and try to trip you if you are carrying eggs.

[​IMG]
    Lisa​

8. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Well, I candled but I couldn't see anything. My flashlight wasn't strong enough to shine through the EE eggs and my powerful flashlight isn't charged up. One thing did worry me though. After I candled, I laid them on some towels out of the basket so I didn't forget which ones I had done. When I was finished, I picked them up to put them back in the basket and you could feel some of the yolks slosh around. They shouldn't be doing that should they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by