What's the best way to clean dried blood off of a chicken?? Anyone??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by superjules75, Oct 18, 2009.

1. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Need advice, thanks!

2. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Is the blood from the chicken? Is there a wound, and if so, what kind (superficial, like from flea bites, or deep flesh wound)? What body part is the blood on (feathers, comb, etc)? How much blood is it?

3. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    THe cuts are on her head where my other pullet was pecking on her. We've separated them and I am just trying to get her well as soon as possible so the other chicken can be moved out of her jail in the garage (she is not happy), back to the coop.

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Just wipe her head with wet cloth. Rinse and repeat until its all off. If its on the body, you can give a bath. Keep her warm until dry if chilly outside. The question is , is it just going to happen again? Watch closely when you put them back together.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

And you can camouflage it with Blu-Kote. You may need a Q-tip to gently apply it and only if your can avoid the eyes, ears and nares...

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    If the wounds are open, don't put her back with the others until they've healed over. The blood will increase pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by