What's the best way to introduce a new goose to my mixed flock?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DawnB, Dec 8, 2012.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems that I've finally found a girlfriend for my gander. She's a pretty 1-1/2yr old Ebden. Anyway...how do you go about introducing a new goose? How long does the new bird need to stay in quarantine, etc? Just looking for a game plan before I actually go pick her up.

Thanks!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    quarantine is normally 30 days. A dividing fence so they can see each other but not grab each other. Then you need to watch how they react to each other. When they are allowed in the same space there might be some hissing, but geese are pretty easy going.

3. DawnB

Well, since it's gonna get real cold here real fast...we'll probably keep her in a pen in the garage to begin with. Will she have to be completely separated for the 30 days before she can "see" the others or should we start letting them peak over the fence before the 30 day mark?

The goose has been raised with 2 other geese as a 4H project. Will there be any separation issues and, if so, how the heck to you deal with that?

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to get a handle on what I'll need to have ready.

Thanks again.

Dawn

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    They can see each other. Don't know about the separation issue for the goose... I'm thinking it might be a factor. Maybe putting a mirror with her?

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    geese are very social, but bio-security is always a concern as well. You will have find a balance and make the best call for you flock.

6. DawnB

Well, we finally put the new gal in with the others. She's doing very well and has already bonded with my gander. They're actually pretty funny together. Our boys named her Hedwig (cuz it's the closest they're ever going to come to owning a white owl! [​IMG]).

Everyone is a happy camper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Wonderful to hear!! Thanks for posting a follow up [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Lovely pics, and kind funny, I have just the opposite, i have an Embden gander and a Toulouse goose. Happy to hear they have bonded and are happy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by