What's the best way to let your neighbors know???

starshrike

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
I recently moved to a somewhat work in progress single family home, with a large yard. It IS a fixer upper and various things are in need of repair, which I am slowly tackling. First major visible project - weeding out the large yard, fixing the run down (but usuable shed), and fence. I do not know my neighbors and my neighbors don't really seem to know my neighbors - nobody really 'talks' round these parts anymore.

There is another thread I started City Ordinance... regarding on the legality of having chickens in the neighborhood. I am planning to have chickens, going by the Zoning and not the Animals section of the ordinance - and keep them outside.

My only justification is that chickens in cages indoors only will NOT be happy. (other than brooding) So I will keep them in an enclosed area - and only let them 'free range' the yard when I am outside.

I am concerned about future noise complaints - especially the neighbor who called the police on me as I started moving items and clearing out the old mess. This lady is not friendly and will call the police on anything - I NEED to be able to ensure she'll notify me first about any issues. While I cannot guarantee her eggs all the time, I need some leverage, and just be a 'better' neighbor. Maybe some of the information can help me leverage to the city (haha) about the inhumanities and impracticalities of having indoor caged chickens.

What have people done to deal with cranky neighbors when letting them know? Especially people who want to keep things low key? E-mails, visits with notes on benefits of backyard eggs, insect reduction, anything??... we do have a major cricket issue.

Thanks in advance for ANY assistance or suggestions!

I am surprised she has a tolerance of her kids (on their trampoline) and their backyard dog(s). Not sure how many (6 ft fence). Her dog(s), especially ONE, barks at EVERYTHING. "Shut up Fido" is something I've heard on several occasions! I DO want to complain about her dog, but really, that's not going to help me.

But I am pretty set on having chickens - I am tired of rising prices and do not want to support the battery caged animals any more. My hope is that they will reduce the bugs and help create natural fertilizers for my poor clay soil. If it doesn't work out in my own yard, I do have a backup location.

Why would someone report their neighbour for just moving stuff in their own garden? She must have lots of time on her hands and probably be very lonely. What did the police do about her complaint? If she complains over trivialities too often they will not take her seriously.
You can't avoid the bangs and thumps of moving stuff, but if you have loud music in the garden you could avoid tension by not doing that. Also try to avoid noise late in the evening.
I would also suggest just trying to be friendly. When our neighbours moved in I happened to be up our garden one day. I looked up to see the lady of the house in her kitchen looking at me. I waved in a friendly manner and the slight embarrasement of being looked at and caught looking was defused.
That's all you can do really. Try to make friends.

I think the best way is to bring her a dozen eggs after they are laying.
wink.png

well...once a cranky neighbor.....always a cranky neighbor, has been our experience. Unfortunately, sometimes there is nothing you could do and you can't be sure she will also appreciate eggs (fresh) from your back yard....:eek: I have a neighbor who thinks store bought eggs are healthier...
hu.gif

go figure.....
hu.gif

anyway, sometimes no matterwhat there is nothing you could do to change their mind....
duc.gif

This is a neighbor that you'll have to deal with for more than just chickens. Who knows where she's coming from when quickly dialing the police for neighborhood issues, but it might benefit you to try to find out. You don't have to be 'friends' but provide some opportunities to engage in conversation and get to know her a bit, to understand her concerns so that when you do bring up the issue of chickens you can construct your information in a manner that would be to benefit her interests as well as yours. Its not always easy, but keep your cool and let her talk. You'd be amazed what you can learn about others by just listening. It also never ceases to astound me how much people appreciate just being heard.

I do want to be able to be on cordial speaking terms, but I am looking for good words/facts to support my future chicken-keeping habit. It will be quite a while before I can offer any eggs, especially if I only have 3-6 hens and I do eat quite a number of eggs (and bake!)

Not sure if everyone has even let their neighbors know, but I don't just want her to call the cops without consulting me first. (heck, I'm a consultant!) I want to see what people have used as 'ammunition' (other than free eggs) to barter some niceness from neighbors.

Problem is, most neighbors simply cannot even communicate with each other - whether it be beliefs, language barriers (I live in a diverse neighborhood).

Would it be best to only consult with only the neighbors I share a the fence with - that can technically look into my yard. Or should I expand further? Informative sheets on backyard chickens, or just verbal?

ETA: I believe she has two young (elementary/middle school) kids - maybe getting them interested in chicks may help? I know that most parents have soft spots for the things their kids like. Not sure how I'd accomplish that as well. As much as a nusiance as her dog(s) can be, I love dogs and I have my own.

Last edited:
I am concerned about future noise complaints - especially the neighbor who called the police on me as I started moving items and clearing out the old mess. This lady is not friendly and will call the police on anything - I NEED to be able to ensure she'll notify me first about any issues.

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!
If the old sow is calling the cops when you're moving in, she's just gonna keep being trouble, I'm afraid.

This is a neighbor that you'll have to deal with for more than just chickens. Who knows where she's coming from when quickly dialing the police for neighborhood issues...

Yep!​

Back
Top Bottom