whats the best way to raise chicks inside or outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jjackm21911, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jjackm21911

jjackm21911 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    rising sun maryland
    i have a question what is the best way to raise chicks inside or outside?
    and incubating should u put paper towel rolls in there for extra moustiure if so let me know

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    We like to keep our brooder in our sunroom, much easier to keep the temperature stable and the kids enjoy the chicks.

When the dust gets to be too much, out they go!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My first batch was raised outside and any future batches will be raised outside.
    I love my chickens alot, but they are livestock. Having been brooded and raised outside, my chickens handle everything mother nature can throw at them - ice storms, torrential rains, excessive heat - like troopers.

4. juliect

juliect Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    I raised mine inside until they were 5 weeks old. I agree with Wombat, it is much easier to stabilize the temperature inside. Plus it was kinda nice to have them close by...I now miss hearing their chirps from the guest bathroom. [​IMG] I need more chicks!

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I do both, it all depends on the weather outside, I've used the inside, a old contractors shed, and a round calf hutch with a door on it.

6. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i didn't have a way to control temperature outside -- or even in the garage .... so my chicks stayed in my closet for the first month --- by the end of May - the temperature never dropped down below 75 --- out they went

7. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    I have always started mine inside. After the dust gets bad or they get cramped in their space then its outside. I am starting it again [​IMG]. We are starting with 32 in the next couple days [​IMG]. The weather outside is ICK and the bugs are ICK. It rains and rains and rains the moesquetoes are BAD would probably carry chicks away. So mine are going to start in the utility sink..... It is always fun @@ cleaning shavings out of the sink lol!!

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Outside

Never heard of using paper towels, but I used a sponge, so I would guess the paper towels would work, its a matter of getting the moisture into the air.

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

well, I did a lot of them inside - then I fixed up the brooder coop and kept the last batch inside only the first week - then out they went (temps were very warm at the time).

I much prefer them going out after the first week.

(I've done over 500 chicks this year, though, so only a few is fun - that many just gets old [​IMG] )

meri

10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    If it's possibly chilly outside (September- April) they are inside for a couple of weeks. This summer I put day old chicks out in the coop and they are all doing great. Never even put out a heat lamp for one batch, it was like 105 during the day and 88 at night, no need for additional heat.

I just got an ee & turken order and I kept them in the house for 2 days and then out to the coop they went! It gets down to about 50-55 at night, but they have a heat lamp. It's still nice during the day so I figured they'd do fine out there.

I get nothing done when I have chicks in the house [​IMG] Chick TV is waaay too addicting!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by