what's the best way?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bullrider, Nov 30, 2008.

1. bullrider

bullrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    i am very new at this i bought a little giant (9200) with egg turner. I am storing up my eggs for 7 days then i am going to put them in the incubator how should i store them? i have them on there side right now but i heard to put them in a egg crate pointy end down any help would be great. i plan on having about 15 eggs is that enough? thanks, kim

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I store mine in the egg cartons, little end down. I place a block of wood or something under one of the long sides so the carton is tilted. 12 hours later, I tilt it the other way.

If you have the egg turner, you can also put them in there and let the turner take care of it for you (out of the incubator of course). Eggs should be stored 55-65 degrees.

Good luck!!

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Little end down. Remember to let the eggs come to room temperture before you put them in the incubator. Next to having the temp and humidity right this is that important. Then let the bator come back up to temp without touching it for eight hours. The whole time you are collecting the eggs the bator should be running. Once up to temp, get the humidity set and you will be good to go. Good luck and enjoy your bator. I have others, but this is the only kind I have used for a few years. Once you get used to it your hatchs will be good. I average over 85%.

4. bullrider

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    Quote:how do i check the humidity all i got is a thermometer that is cliped on a peace of tin bent in a w shape thanks for all the help

5. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I bought a reptile hygrometer at my pet store and it worked fine it was small and cheap, but I am sure you can get one for poultry somewhere..I looked for one at Walmart as heard several mention Walmart but I looked today and could not find where at. Wish I could help better but that is what I ended up doing.

6. bullrider

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    Quote:thanks i will check there

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I've also heard that cigar stores sell them. Don't make the mistake I did, years ago, when I got my new incubator. I didn't have the thermometer even with the top of the eggs. It was a lot higher and none of the chicks hatched although they developed. [​IMG] Hope you have a great hatch.

8. bullrider

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    Quote:thanks so i put the thermometer at the top of my eggs

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I put the thermomoter and hygrometer egg height.

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i store my eggs in a fridge set to the warmest temp,, put them in carton little end down, and use the block of wood to angle 1 side at least 25-30 degrees,, and turn them at least 3 times a day. when your ready to hatch,, take them out of fridge, open the cartons and let them sit 8 ta 12 hours before you put in the hatcher. then dont start counting days until 24 hours after they are put in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by