1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the best way..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Glenmar, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    to cook a skinless chicken. We took the skins off of 3 of them. I just read that roasting them without skins would dry them out.
    Should I try to take it off the bone and cook it like boneless skinless? I was just going to turn this one into chicken salad.
    Did I see a thread on how to de bone??

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Quote:I wrap skinless chicken in bacon.....
    [​IMG]

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Maybe cover then with foil when you roast them in the over, so they don't dry out? We skinned 3 of our meat birds, wrapped them in bacon and put them on the bbq pit. very very good

4. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    crockpot..

debone, you just remove the meat from the bone.. not all that hard... in a crockpot, you cook it long enough, the meat will fall off anyways.

5. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    I skin as well. Then cut them in half and slap on the grill (low-medium). Limb side down first for 15 minutes, then cavity side down for the rest (maybe another 20-30 minutes). Tastes awsome, not dry for my taste. Maybe depends on the age of the chicken?

6. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:Oh and of course claypot (römertopf) will cure any potentially dry meat! I use that to get really juicy turkeys [​IMG].

7. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I cooked one today in a clay pot. Worked really good. I was just wondering if it would be dry.
    Do you brush them with anything for the grill? That sounds good.

8. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    You could always use that injector method and pump some sauce/seasoning into them before grilling them - my husband is found of mixing up his own "special blend" - which isn't that special...Beer with some Tony Chacheres...if he can't find his froo froo fancy injector I've even caught him using a fresh syringe and needle from my animal med supplies - one with a 16 gauge needle intended for horses and penicillin (don't know how 'food safe' that it, but I know he does it when I'm not looking so he can just toss it instead of cleaning it)...maybe injecting something into it would help keep it moist? It seems to work with the ones we cook - but ours always have the skin on...but they are always juicy and tender!

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I always skin my birds, and for me, I always slather them in oil/butter with different optional herb/spice mixes. When they're cooking, I check on them regularly and either use the baster to re-moisten them or flip them over to keep them from drying.

If I wanted to do something more regular, I just grill/fry mine on a skillet.

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I do what Ilia does only I'm even more lazy. I use olive oil spray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by