whats the best wormer to use - opinions please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sham30, Sep 20, 2011.

1. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    I am looking for the pros and cons of different wormer and what everyone uses, Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I am looking for the same. I used wazine first but am still confused what to follow up with. Also today I read not to worm the before aeound 8 months and my youngest are 4 months and I have already wormed with the wazine. Now I wonder should I do a follow up with them?

3. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Dawg53 is someone to ask, but he recommended to me to use Valbazen and so far it has worked awesome and Valbazen kills all types of worms, but he also said if you had a bad infestation of roundworms, you would use something like Wazine to kill the adults because you don't want them to clog them up. Valbazen is like a thick milk and we soaked small pieces of bread with it and fed it to each chicken, very easy to do.

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I user cayenne pepper. I just cook rice and add cayenne pepper to it. Chickens love it. Then the next day I'll give them some yogurt. Works great for them and no worm problems.

5. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:Cayenne pepper along with pumpkin seeds may be a good preventative but it does not "kill" worms if your birds have been infested, I don't like the idea of using chemicals, but if your birds are like ours they are pets also and I do what is best for them so a chemical wormer is the only way to go to "kill" an infestation.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:No need to use wazine. Valbazen slowly gets rid of the worms over several days. No need to worry about dead worm toxicity.

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I prefer Ivermectin because it also aids with external parasite control: notice I said 'aids' and not 'prevents.'

8. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:No need to use wazine. Valbazen slowly gets rid of the worms over several days. No need to worry about dead worm toxicity.

Thanks Dawg53 for that clarification. Valbazen has worked great for us and birds are healthier than ever.

9. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG] Thank you everyone! I have not seen any worms at all in the poo so how would I know if I have a worm problem? No sick hens and my newbies are growing like weeds so I am not sure what to do. I feed pumkin and DE, so what do you all think? Should I worm or no [​IMG]

10. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:It's completely your call. You'll receive as many yeas as nays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by