1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats the big deal with show quility?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Sep 13, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Im sorry, but I have seen on here that some people wont ordered from Metzer farms because they dont have show quility ducks? I mean really wants the big deal if your not going to show them? Im just wondering really?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't show any of my poultry, but I like them to be as close to the APA standard for the breed as possible and that generally isn't possible with hatchery birds.

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I don't live in America but X2 [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok. I dont want show breed really, maybe one day, but I have to wait till my mom says yes, but its sad that people put down Metzer farms because they dont have show birds and then I ask them "are you going to show them?" And they say "no, but they dont have show birds so I WONT order from them" and it just seems wierd to me.

5. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    I can see your point of view however some hatchery quality birds such as silkies do not even have five toes or black skin - they are too far from actual silkies to really breed it back...

6. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I see no reason of breeding birds that are no where near what they are even supose to look like! Why breed runners if they dont look like Runners? I mean that is just my opinion...

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Some people say that Metzer farms Welsh Harlequins arent really welsh harlequins? Is that true? Or is that something to do with their off colorness? I will still love mine, and breed them nomatter what, but im just wondering?

8. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    To my thinking, there is a difference between basic fairs and 4-H shows, and national championship shows. If you're shooting for the national bird circuit, I understand only getting your show stock from breeders, but if Metzer birds aren't good enough for youth shows, then why does this page exist?

9. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Hatcheries will still sell poor quality birds as long as they carry "blood" of the original breed, as far as I know...

10. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If somebody wants show quality ducks, they can go to the place that has show quality ducks. Metzer Farms does not claim to have that for all their breeds. They are a production breeder.
    My runners are great pets, but they aren't as upright as they should be. They are unmistakeably runners though. I'd love a runner that is nice and upright, but I don't want to order a batch of 10 unsexed runners to get that one duck. Metzer's has great birds, but not show quality. If I HAD to have them, I'd have to find somewhere else to order.
    I don't think anybody puts Metzer Farms down because of it, just stating facts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by