1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats the cover to put in a pen?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailboy 73, Jan 24, 2011.

1. quailboy 73

quailboy 73 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    What kind of plants or cover should i use in my pen for my quail?[​IMG]

2. quailboy 73

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    What the world!!! Nobody what to help a brother out on his question?

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Do you still have your christmas tree? [​IMG]

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you mean as a plant material for them to run under or do you mean as a construction material that is built to cover the run?

5. quailboy 73

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    Dang! just got though buring it the other day

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quail do not need a tree. They do not live in trees, you could put a pile of grass and brush for them to get into, but it would be a pain to collect eggs. You could also put a 2x4 across the cage for them to walk on. I have my birds on wire so they don't get any.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You're right that quail don't need a tree but a used christmas tree would work good for cover if it was laid in the pen. Try to think outside the box a little [​IMG]

I use an artificial tree, and sure wish I knew someone that had a real one this year! The branches would work wonders for my doves [​IMG]

It's not good to have them just on wire, they need at least part of the floor of their pen to be solid, otherwise they'll get sores on their feet.

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I've never seen sores on their feet, maybe because I use half inch wire...

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:To each their own, but if it were me I'd like to have something solid to stand on once in a while.

10. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I haven't noticed any sores on my birds' feet, either.....and they're on 1/2" wire as well. Besides keeping a pile of evergreen (pine) limbs in their pens to occupy their curiousity, I do nothing.........EXCEPT, when we had a winter storm a couple of weeks ago, the temps got really frigid (for here, anyway). It got down in the low teens at night with a wind chill factor of lower single digits. I took some old rugs that we discarded from the house, and put in the pens to cut down on the updraft. What that caused, after a few days, was a bunch of poop buildup on some of the birds' feet, and it dried causing them to have problems getting around on the wire because the poop was hanging on the wire. Out the rugs came, and their feet are starting to clear up now. Just one of many observation that teaches lessons......... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by