What's the current horse hauling rate?

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
So my DH volunteered me on my day off (tomorrow) to haul a pony for someone.
smack.gif

From our house to the location where pony is is about 45 miles (one way).

From there it's another 55 miles to where the pony needs to go.

And then from pony's new home--it is another 30 miles back to our house.

Gas here is $4/gallon.

When we're hauling (loaded or not) we get 9-10 miles per gallon.

Our truck has a 26 gallon gas tank.

So what should I tell this woman I would like for compensation? Not only for gas but for my time...not to mention the longer I sit, the more my ribs kill me....
sad.png

I was originally thinking $150.00 it costs close to $100.00 to fill up the truck....

Generally it's a dollar a mile. I think that some are going up to a dollar fifty in the real expensive areas.

Some people charge for any unloaded miles on the trip as well.

So it's going to take you a half a day and $60 just in gas. No way would I do that for $1 a mile. I'd say no less than $150 (that's gas plus $20 per hour). Forget all that $1 per mile stuff. Most of the time the professional horse haulers have a full load and are charging that for EACH animal. Door-to-door with a single animal costs way more than that. 130 total miles at $1 a mile might be OK, but not $1 per loaded mile or you will end up in the hole since you will only be loaded for 55 miles.

Last edited:
Well, DH and I won a shed at an auction Saturday night and they are supposed to be delivering at some point today--so I had to cancel. The lady wasn't very nice about it, either? She said she would try to find someone else to do it. I told her okay. If she calls me back, I think I would consider it for no less than $150.00. I think she was thinking about $50 so she'll probably decline anyway....

$50....
lau.gif
says the lady without a truck or trailer, not a pan to ***** in... "Too much $!" try buying all the stuff you need to haul your horse around, or go ahead and rent a trailer and borrow a truck and pay for gas. Either way, on one rides for free... People with nothing often expect people with "stuff" to do things for them for free. I mean strangers. That doesn't even begin to cover what friends want.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom