1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

whats the deal with green or blue eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phaethona, May 18, 2010.

1. phaethona

phaethona Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    we are in our first year of chicken raising, we have 2 separate flocks, one is all production reds and the other is a mixed bag of different breeds, all brown layers except for one that my husband is reeeeeally crossing his fingers is an ameracauna. the mixed breed flock is about 8 or 9 weeks old. the other day my husband was on the computer with his credit card out so I asked him "whacha buying?" he said that he was re-homing ALL of the mix breed flock and ordering new chickens that lay blue or green eggs. I was upset(I 've bonded with the girls, and so have our kids) but that didn't matter to him, he was being very selfish. he ended up cancelling the order and has gone back to crossing his fingers about our one questionable ameracauna. when I ask him what's the big attraction to green or blue eggs he says "what does it matter?". So I'm wondering, is it really that big a deal? do any of you get those colors? what's the deal about green or blue eggs? [​IMG]

thanks!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They make a pretty egg basket, but other than that there's nothing special about them.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have brown egg layers, and green egg layers....My green egg layers are Ameraucana--well truly EE (Easter Eggers). They're beautiful, but the green eggs are just medium in size. It's fun to see those green eggs in the nest boxes. They're pretty. Maybe hubby could just pick up one or two EEs, then you guys will have a nice variety of color.

4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    You may even have a few EE's in the mixed breed flock, and you wouldn't know until they start laying.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. phaethona

phaethona Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:we have one that just might be an EE, but being new to this, we don't know breeds very well, what do you think? (I'll probably have to get a more recent photo, her head/neck feathers have turned a yellowish color)
    [​IMG]

6. rebecca100

rebecca100 Songster

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    I love EE's, but there really is nothing special about them other than they are pretty and lay unusual eggs. I think the novelty of blue or green eggs is lost though unless you have other colors as well. They are good layers, but there are other layers that are as good or better. I definately wouldn't sell out a flock to just have them.

7. rebecca100

rebecca100 Songster

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    No, the legs are the wrong color!! maybe a welsummer? Also has unusual colored eggs!

8. phaethona

phaethona Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:also, I have a white leghorn, I've thought about taking her eggs and dyeing them with koolaid while he's at work. just to mess with him [​IMG]

9. BiggsChicken

BiggsChicken Hatching

Apr 22, 2010
    Looks like an Ameraucana to me. I got two chicks a week ago and this looks to be a bigger version. The markings look the same.

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    That one doesn't look like an EE since it has a straight comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by