What's the deal with Ideal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jan 30, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm planning an order with Ideal, a chinese goose, 3 KC lady ducks, and 3 B.O lady chickens. it puts me over the minimum order price wise, but are they going to pack all the space with extra birds? is there any way to steer their choices? is it gonna be ducks, chickens or extra geese??? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    chickensducks&agoose :

I'm planning an order with Ideal, a chinese goose, 3 KC lady ducks, and 3 B.O lady chickens. it puts me over the minimum order price wise, but are they going to pack all the space with extra birds? is there any way to steer their choices? is it gonna be ducks, chickens or extra geese??? Any advice would be appreciated!

Ideal usually uses extra male chickens (standard size breeds) as packing peanuts.​

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Mre than lkely you will get BR or RIR peanuts.You could ask for anthing but a certain bred dunno if they honor it.

4. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I think it depends on your order. You have ducks in there and I know the requirement for ducks is less than chickens (you have to pack 25 chickens in there). Duck is something like 6-10 right? So maybe 2 chicks=1 duck? Might want to call them and find out. They are pretty friendly over the phone. Just go to customer Retail section and speak with someone. They are on central time.

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

If you request that they do not include the extra birds for warmth, then it most likely will void the live delivery guarantee.

6. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I bought the insurance for no packing peanuts because I don't want anymore boys running around and it's too hard for me to let go of them. It was $2.15 for and order of 2 ducks and 18 chickens. I would call and ask what their opinion is on if the chicks should fare ok or would they suggest to add a duck or chick or two. And yes they're very nice and patient. Good luck.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, call and get the insurance. However, if you're order is going out in the "cold" season" between there and your home, might be a good idea just to fill the order for heat and sell the extras.

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i ordered 10 ducklings from Ideal and i got 8 chicks (buff orps.) When i asked them, they said i should get 4 or 5. lol, but i got 8.

Unless you order 20 i think they add extras

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks... maybe I'll add more of those mixed pullets... cheap! or is that CHEEP?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by