whats the deal with silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EricH, Sep 11, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    I know ill probably be crucified for asking... but what do so many see in silkies? personally, i have never raised them so i wouldnt know. They seem hugely popular. Is it that they're really friendly? good broodys? just curious, dont start throwing rocks!

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Its all of those things. Its also a breed that fits some people's personalities. Its also the novel look of them. There isn't any one reason, nor do all of the reasons match up with another person's reasons for having them.

3. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    heh yeah, i know different strokes for different folks. I figured they were good pets. Sorta cute in their own way.... can definately see a little kid loving them...

4. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Nope, won't throw rocks at you....LOL. For me, silkies are cute little oddities. The general population around here just have to stop to see the "hairy little creatures" I have mixed with my traditional birds. I have found them to be entertaining, quirky, snuggly birds as well as great broodies and wonderful mothers. The eggs they lay are small, so they're just right for getting young children "eggcited" about eating them. I think they're like certain breeds of dogs; some people can't stand them and think they're a waste of space, others, like me, find them to be really good additions to the flock. Silkies aren't for everyone, but silkie people are obsessed with them!

5. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    interesting... ill have to bite the bullet and get one one of these days...

6. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
    All I know is that my eight year old saw a picture of one and it was all over from there...

7. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Since we raise our chickens for a hobby, but also have lots of egg customers, silkies are just for fun. We have one hen left and she RARELY lays an egg even though she is only 18 months old. She's broody all of the time. So I am re-homing her roo (no sense thinking I can get chicks from her!) and let her brood my replacement chicks in the Spring. Maybe I can skip all of the incubating and brooding in the house. But she will have to prove herself on that aspect too. If she doesn't turn out to be a good chick mama...well, the teenager might just want to keep her as a pet anyway. She is kinda cute.

8. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They look furry instead of feathery, I wanted them since they didn't look like a chicken at first glance. I have Black Japanese though, lol. I couldn't find pullets of Silkies...
    But then again, I like a lot of the more colorful, interesting and different chickens. Rather only Bantams though.

9. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    They're cute and fluffy [​IMG]

But the one I've got (20 weeks old, hatched by one of my broodies) is probably a cockerel and odd- not at all tame, nervy, has to be fed on his own or he won't eat and now chases all my 10 weeks old ones about. So though cute to look at not remoteley friendly (the only one, everyone else is reasonably tame, some more so and jump on my shoulder!). Very funny to watch when he's running about trying to fly, hasn't worked out he can't yet. Not keeping him, have got him a new home with someone who wants a silkie cockerel- they don't crow like other cockerels so that's a big plus. I'd like a silkie pullet sometime but I'll buy one so I don't risk hatching any more boys out.

Can see why people like them but my example hasn't exactly endeared me to the breed, my Polish Cresteds and White Orpington are far friendlier so much more appealing to me.

10. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I fell in love with them because they are like little teeny chickens in bunny suits! I was further smitten by their calm nature and willingness to be held and petted (did I mention they are delightfully soft?). After observing them for the past year from chicks to adults, I have seen different personalities emerge. They do entertaining things, some like to jump on my shoulder, others do a fly-by-treat-grabbing. When they sleep they pile up together to look like one big fur pillow. And their little contented noises make me think of Star Trek "Tribbles". Sooooooo......what's not to love?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by