What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dfunnyfarm, Apr 4, 2008.

1. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    All the sudden I'm not getting eggs, and I figured out why today. The hens are pecking them and eating them. Why are they doing this? Nothing has changed. I feed them the same. Egg crumbles and oyster shells. They do get the table scraps also. Any advice?

2. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Many people have solved this problem by blowing out an egg, and filling it with something nasty like hot mustard, or something of the like. Put that in the nestingbox and let them have a go at the loaded egg. See if this helps any. [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Once that habit starts it's very hard to get it to stop. I've heard of some people putting golf balls in the nest so when they peck it it's not a pleasant experiance.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have had this trouble before. It is hard to stop. If you can, just try and collect the eggs more often.

5. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Try to watch the time of day they are going to the nest boxes and snatch up those eggs. My girls always shout it from the mountain tops when they've laid an egg. Mine always lay in the afternoon, they take turns laying cuz they all like to use the same box. But I can usually set my watch by the way they lay. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by