What's the DEAL!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Half-a-dozen, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    I've had 25 chicken (from 10 to 12 weeks old) starring at 35 other chickens (from 20 weeks to 1 years old) (all mixed breeds).... so I decided its time to let them all get aquanted.... [​IMG] It did not go well!!!! They have been seperated for over a month........ OMG I thought if they live near each other and see each other getting them together goes better?????

What did I do wrong???????? This is stressing me out! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Just pecking order,Its seams bad but its does get better over time.

3. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Should I just toss them all together and let them all at it??? [​IMG]

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'd just put them all together and then just watch to make sure it doesn't turn bloody.

I've found that if there are a pretty good sized group that you are adding in it goes better - they can spread around the aggression so that one chicken doesn't bear the majority of it.

Also if they can see each other through wire for a few days first that can help too.

I have a growout pen in the corner of the big run so that the little ones growing up can see and interact safely with the big chickens. Then when they are about the same size (at least 12-14 weeks) I shoo them out of the grow out pen and in with the older chickens. So far that's worked really well for me.

Good luck!!

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I strongly suggest providing obstacles that the pursued can run around, fly onto, hide in the shade of, etc. Feed sacks, perches, stools, etc. are good. Be sure there are no areas where one could get cornered without a ready escape--I've had one get killed when I didn't ensure that. [​IMG]

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Sounds like you have to many to do this....but I usually put a cage (like a wire dog crate) in the run with the new birds in it. I do that for a week or so before supervised interaction together.

I have also had one come close to being killed when I didnt supervise and take enough time to introduce.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  7. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    They ARE in a run butted up against the other run so the only thing that seperates them is chicken wire. They have been like this their whole little lives. so because they are acting so rash towards one another... does it mean they can't maybe live together?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by