1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the Deep-litter method?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lyndatu, Nov 23, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    The clock is ticking [​IMG]

I'm running out of time.......We have to have an idea of coop litter. Wood shavings? Expensive, since you'll have to change it every 2 days and our coop is a bit big. But, I saw this deep-litter method. It looks convenient! Can you teach me? Please!!! Time is running out! Let the game begin!

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    Deep litter method is you put in 6 iches of shavings and add an inch or so of clean litter when it needs it every other week or so and stir up all the litter. If the shavings get wet or way to much poo it will have to be changed . I change my litter every 3 months. I have a 9x 10 coop and clean it with every season unless it gets wet. It works great for me . I use 2 bags of shavings to start and then add a half a bag every 2 weeks or so. Some people start with a foot of litter. Everyone has a differant way. As far as straw and hay goes I only use that for nesting boxes and I change it often. It can harbor bugs and mold. Important thing to do is stir your litter often and it should be fine. Many people stir it everyday when they do water and feeding. Really it works great!
    Take Care and Good Luck
    Cristina

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Deep Litter Method I also replied to your other post with this information.

Why do you keep saying you need to change the litter every two days? Just curious who told you that. I've been using the DLM since June in our smallest coop and there's no smell, at all.

The Search button is a great feature! [​IMG]

Dawn

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If (as per your other topic about coop litter) you are getting CHICKS (=babies), then you only need brooder litter for now, not for your whole coop. And while you might have to change litter in the brooder every couple of days, you won't be using much litter each time because the brooder will be relatively small, you know? So do not panic, a bag of wood shavings will last you a long time.

Once the chicks grow up and are living in your coop, what about plain ol' sand, since you are in a tropical climate?

Pat

5. lyndatu

Nov 13, 2007
    Please give me a step-by-step procedure of the deep-litter method! Help really needed!

Thanks in advance!

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:1. throw in a bag of shavings.
    2. leave it a few days.
    3. stir.
    4. add more shavings in a week or two.
    5. stir it up every two or three days.
    6. add more shavings every week or two.

this is for your COOP. If you have chicks in a brooder - its another thing.

8. lyndatu

Nov 13, 2007
    Uhm, when I "leave it for a few days", do I need to put the chickens in the coop? And when do I stop adding more shavings?

Thanks in advance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by