Whats the difference between a Yak and Highland Cattle?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EweSheep, Aug 24, 2010.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Went to the Springfield Fair and in the petting zoo, there was a Highland cow and she was sweet. Another lady said it was a yak.

So whats the difference?

2. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Yaks originate from Asia, and Highland Cattle from Scotland. Both have long hair to cope with harsh climates, but they are not related.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Well, i know they come from different locations.... hehe, Highlands are typically that red long haired color with outward pointy horns and a different looking face. Yaks, if I remember correctly have a hard horn plate on their heads with down and the outward curving horns. Also their hair type is much thicker, longer and dense then a highland. I think yaks have more of a hump, not sure, but i seem to remember them almost reminding me of small long haired Bison, but w/o the huge head... hehe

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yearling Mini Highlanders:
    [​IMG]

Highlander Cows:
    [​IMG]

Yak Cows:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yak calf:
    [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ok, I thought I was right...it was a Highland cow...exactly like the pic showed and her hair was FINE and loaded down with it. Her long horns were more outward and her face was more BLOCKED than the yak which it has more of a delicate features...more bottle like in their heads and cocker spaniel cut LOL. No humps on her topline. Her nose and hooves were normal "flesh" colored (yellowish tan). She did have a mop on her head which she has a mane on the side as well.

It was the city lady that said it was a yak but I've personally seen Highland cattle before at teh Celtic fairs and that is what she looked like exactly.

Hubby knows what Highland cattle looks like even the Scottish ones LOL!

[​IMG] to the snobbish city lady.

6. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I love the highlands! SO darn cute!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just would love them better WITHOUT those horn! Yikes! [​IMG]

7. kbhear80

kbhear80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    chapman, kansas
    OMG i love the highlanders! What all are they used for? Meat, milking...?

8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Highland cattle are....cattle. Yaks are a species related to cattle, but are not cattle. They are Bos grunniens, cattle are Bos primegenius.

Highland cattle have a cow type tail with a tassle.

Yaks have a thick tail with long hair on the whole thing.

Yaks, you can ride and pack. There are yak saddles and yak pack saddles. And yak bridles. There is yak butter and yak milk and yak butter tea. Yaks also do not moo.

The primary use of the Highland cattle is for the clans to have something to steal from each other.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. kbhear80

kbhear80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    chapman, kansas
    darn it, had to post pictures! Now i want one!!!!!! how is the highlands temperment ? And how do you go about finding one? My husband actually like them..which is rare cause he was a city boy (had to brake him in) and normally doesnt like the same kind of animals that i do.

10. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I think a lot of breeders raise them in the US. There were a few down the road from us some years ago.

Some people say they tend to be a little more nervous than beef cattle. The ones I saw always seemed very placid and easy to handle, but you should talk to an expert.

I love yaks. What is better than an animal you can ride, milk and eat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by