1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats the difference between Americauna and easter eggers ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TNBlacktails, Dec 9, 2012.

1. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    Whats the diff between americauna and easter eggers???

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
  3. Keric

Keric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Maine
    In my book "Storey's illustrated guide to poultry breeds" it says that The Ameraucana was bred to lay blue eggs, but without the lethal allele that the Araucana has.

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Ameraucana is an APA accepted breed with 8 accepted varieties in both LF & Bantam. They lay blue eggs.

Easter Eggers is not a breed but a term applied to a mutt which is usually sold by hatcheries as "Ameraucanas" and as mutts, can come in all kinds of colors. They will usually have some ear muffs and beards of some degree as they have Ameraucana or Araucana blood somewhere in their past. They lack any standard color or variety. They are called Easter Eggers (EEs) because they produce eggs with a variety of shell colors from green, greenish blue, blue, bluish green, brown, cream, pinkish, pale yellow, even gray.

5. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee

6. mommameg

mommameg Out Of The Brooder

I read in another thread that easter eggers have bright green legs while americaunas have grayish green eggs. Mine have the latter. Is that correct?
    And what colors do americaunas come in? I have one that "blondish", and one that's black gray and white mix. After reading this thread I'm doubting if they really are true Americaunas.

7. I heard somewhere that many EEs are sold as amerucanana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by