Whats the difference between an easter egger and a americauna?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Leah567, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I was wondering, Is there any difference between an easter egger and an americauna?

2. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    Araucanas are rare, rumpless blue egg layers.
    Ameraucanas are bred from Araucanas, have tails and also exclusively lay blue eggs.
    Easter Eggers are any hybrid between a blue layer and a white or brown layer. Thus, they are not a breed and have no regulations. Easter Eggers usually lay green eggs but can lay any colour.

Cream Legbars also lay blue eggs.

3. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Thanks for the info!

4. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Most accurately, IMHO...

The difference is true Ameraucana conform to a standard such as feather color, shank color, and other things. When you breed two of them, you get a little version that grows up to be like them.

Easter Eggers (as sold by hatcheries, not home breeders) on the other hand ARE Ameraucana that do NOT conform to the standard but ARE representative of the breed in general characteristics... laying bluish eggs, fluffy beards and muffs... However their feather pattern will rarely breed true. There are some on here trying to breed EE true. EE are supposed to be better layers than Ameraucana as that is what they have been bred towards.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

I will always have some EE in my flock. They are fun birds. I like Ams, but so far all turned out boys. [​IMG]

6. EggSighted4Life

One other thing... how you spelled it, might be how someone who is misrepresenting EE's would spell it.

Ameraucana will be referred to by their color by any one who really has them... black, blue, lavender, birchen, whatever their standards are. And will not be sold for $3 anywhere that I know of!

7. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Thanks for the link and the info. My easter egger is from a breeder.

8. EggSighted4Life

Depends on the breeder...

Could be anything mixed with a blue egger. [​IMG]

As long as you're enjoying! [​IMG]

9. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Yeah, That's what I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by