What's the difference between RIR and NHR?

illinichick

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
SE Il
Could someone please tell me the difference in looks from the Rhode Islands and New Hampshires? I have ten of each and they are 12 weeks old. One set has large red combs and dark tail feathers. The other set has smaller combs and dark tails. I've looked on feathersite and don't see any visible difference between the two. My daughter is showing a set of pullet and cockeral for her 4H project tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

My RIRs are much darker than my NHs. Also, my NH chicks were yellow and feathered in red, while my RIR chicks were always deep red.
smile.png

The Rhode Island Red should be solid mahogany color, excepting the black feathers. The New Hampshire is a lighter chestnut red, then the black feathers. Remember the New Hampshire was the result of selective breeding RIR's for fast maturing more meat purpose fowl.

I must have NHR's because they are not a deep mahogany, thanks for your inputs! I'm going to try and post a pic. I have a pic uploaded but can't figure out how to get it with my message.
In the pic. you'll see the two types of red chickens....I have ten with large combs ( I know one is is rooster) and ten with small combs. Can anyone help identify?

Last edited:
N&MSchroeder :

My RIRs are much darker than my NHs. Also, my NH chicks were yellow and feathered in red, while my RIR chicks were always deep red.
smile.png

x2
At 12 weeks, your large comb chickens are all roos. In your pic, of the 4 that I can see, the one in front is a pullet and the three behind her are roos.​

I have a RIR, I have now determined, that a friend gave me...it took me this long to figure it out, she is very deep red...

68634_dsc_0099-2.jpg

I dont think the ones with combs are all roosters. I have 10 RIR's and 10 NHR's. In the group of 10 with combs, I know I have one roo, he's crowing and starting spurs, the other nine are smaller and aren't starting the shoulder feathers. I now know the ten that are the darker red are RIR's. thanks for your input.

Quote:
Going off the picture you posted,
I see 4 roosters, 3 of them are the ones with the larger comb that are fully in the picture and the 4th on is in the back with his head cut out out the picture.
None of them relay look like Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshire (note there is no New Hampshire Red breed the breed is a New Hampshire)

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom