What's the difference in blues?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Obsessive, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    just curious..........

What, if any, is the difference between blue and self-blue? [​IMG]

2. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Self blue or lavender is lighter than blue and more purple tinted it is also the dilute of blue which is the dilute of black. Sorry I dont have any pics but hopefully someone else will.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    So how do you know if a bird is a light blue or a self blue?

4. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Reelsville, IN
    This is light blue
    [​IMG]
    This is lavender or self blue
    [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    After you see enough pics you should be able to tell the difference in appearance.

But the genetic difference is that blue (andalusian blue) is incompletly dominant, so breeding:

blue to blue = 50% blue, 25% Black, 25% splash
    blue to black = 50% blue 50% black
    blue to splash = 50% blue 50% splash
    splash to black = 100% blue
    splash to splash = 100% splash

And self blue (lavender) is a recessive gene that dilutes black and red. Self blue will breed true once it is established but Self blue X Black = all black ( split lavender) F1 birds, crossing the F1s together or back to self blue, will give more self blues.

6. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    OK GREAT! that answers my question perfectly!

And it also answers a question in another thread so you just killed 2 birds with 1 stone (Oops, sorry guys [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] )

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    No I can see the difference between a blue and lavendar. But I have a light blue Polish that looks just like lavendar(of course, I know it isn't because I hatched it from my own birds but I am talking about if I hadn't and just got this bird given to me). I guess if you breed them and always get all black you know they are likely lavendar and the chicks all split and then, of course, if you breed again, you will know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by