Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil, May 8, 2009.

1. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    I saw a question in a posting if a chicken was Hatchery or Purebred. Whats the difference? Are hatchery chickens purebred?
    So if my kids want to show chickens in 4-H where do I need to get them from? Are hatchery chicks okay or do I need to find someone who "specializes" in that breed?
    I gotta make a new thread, to many questions that this one is setting off in my head![​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Hatchery chicks are usually purebred (with the exception of Ameraucanas/Araucanas), but are usually not breeder or show quality...just pet quality. If you want a better chance of winning in a show find someone who breeds show birds.

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    The difference is that Hatcheries usually just keep a lot of hens with a few roosters and then collect the eggs. They dont care if the chickens are show quality. Breeders do care and have selective breeding cages where they pick only the best looking chickens to breed together and thats what you want when you are looking for show quality chickens.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree with the other posters on the difference with hatchery chicks and chicks from breeders.

As far as chicks for a 4-H show, I'd suggest you or your kid talk to the extension agent. 4-H shows may be different. The agent will know the best place to get the chicks. One of the breeders in this area gives chicks to 4-H'ers. Probably his culls, but they are closer to standard that you could expect for a hatchery chick.

5. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Thanks for the quick responses. I have a call out the 4-H head for our area. Thanks for the information.
    BYC is such a great bunch of folks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by