What's the difference?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 14 chickens & counting, Jan 11, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    What is the difference between a "mutt" and a "cross" in the chicken world?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Well, a cross that produces a recognizable and even preferred hybrid, such as the sex links, or cornish X meat birds is a cross. Of course, a mutt can also be a cross, but usually it refers to a bird that is the result of cross or many crosses that produce a bird of questionable, shall we say, features and looks from its parentage. It simply isn't a cross or crosses that result in a desirable bird.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A cross is a cross between two specific breeds or colors to get certain traits. Sex Links are an example.

Mutts are chickens that are not pure breeds. They have different breeds or colors in their genetics. Crosses are mutts, but not all mutts are crosses.

Actually I find my mutts desirable.

4. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    So my pic of my rooster......he's a mutt?

And...if you just some hens from a friend who gets his purchases from a sale.....you really don't know what you are getting? They may LOOK like a certain breed....but probably is a mutt?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got a red rooster whose Mama was a Buff Orpington and whose Papa was a Red Sex-Link. He looks more like a New Hampshire than a New Hampshire does...if that's possible. He's a Mutt. A Good-Lookin' Mutt....(Like a lot of us "mixed-Breed Americans".)

Ha-Ha !!!
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

6. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:LOL.......If I got a mutt....he's a PURTY mutt too!

7. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    well, let's just sat that he doesn't really like any recognizable breed [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    14 chickens & counting :

So my pic of my rooster......he's a mutt?

And...if you just some hens from a friend who gets his purchases from a sale.....you really don't know what you are getting? They may LOOK like a certain breed....but probably is a mutt?

Not necessarily. If you have a black and white barred chicken with a single comb and yellow legs, that's a barred rock. There are specific qualities to each breed, and if the bird matches those, it's that breed. Feel free to post pics, lots of knowledge here on different breeds. And mutts are great!​

9. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    See I thought my rooster looked alot like this rooster I found on the internet on the website for a Golden Duckwing Welsummer...[​IMG]

And here is my rooster ...............

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  10. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

14 chickens & counting :

What is the difference between a "mutt" and a "cross" in the chicken world?

about .50 cents​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by