Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wbruder17, Jan 14, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    What is the difference between a true Ameraucana and an Easter Egger?

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:About $3 [​IMG]

3. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Quote:A true Ameraucana is a bird that usually possesses a beard, slate or blue legs, and lay eggs in varying shades of blue. An Easter Egger describes a hybrid bird that carries the blue egg gene. They may also have legs of any color.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Eggers in general are mutts or unrecognized chickens that lay blue or green (and sometimes but not too often, brown) colored eggs. They can have beard/muffs or a clean face, green or yellow or even slate legs, they usually come in duckwing based colors but really can be any color, and in most cases are sold from hatcheries or feedstores falsely as Ameraucanas or Araucanas.

True Ameraucanas are an APA recognized breed with only slate grey legs (or black if the bird is black) beard and muffs, blue eggs, and a recognized color. The color must match nearly exact. The recognized colors include Blue, Buff, Black, White, Silver, Brown-Red, Wheaten, and Blue Wheaten. Ameraucanas also come in Lavender and Splash, too. Ameraucanas are not sold at hatcheries.

Here are some true Ameraucanas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a typical Easter Egger hen.

[​IMG]

And an EE rooster.

[​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:A true Ameraucana is a bird that usually possesses a beard, slate or blue legs, and lay eggs in varying shades of blue. An Easter Egger describes a hybrid bird that carries the blue egg gene. They may also have legs of any color.

Also, a mixed color Ameraucana (a bird from 2 different colored pure parents) that is not one of the recognized 8 varieties is also considered an Easter Egger. A true ameraucana comes in 1 of 8 recognized colors (or 1 of 2 non-recognized colors that are accepted at shows). These 8 colors are:
    Blue
    Black
    White
    Buff
    Brown-red
    Silver
    Wheaten
    Blue Wheaten

Non-recognized varieties:
    Splash
    Lavender

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So my "Ameraucana" is most likely just an EE. No biggie. She's still my favorite.Those are some beautiful birds pictured tho. I would really like to have a blue or lavender one. I really love their color.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:That Black male's a nice bird! Yours?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep. Love him and fully understand his value, but his comb is quite wide for my taste. Kinda verges on the looks of a rosecomb, in my opinion.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
  10. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by