What's the difference?

Daisy9696

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Minnesota
Hey. What's the difference between the white Cornish birds and other meat birds? What is the best to raise? I would like to order an assortment from Cackle Hatchery but don't know what one to choose from. Thanks

If the Cornish to which refer is something called a Cornish Cross (Cornish X), that is THE meat bird in this country. It is what you get when you go the grocery store or restaurant. It is so primarily for its rapid growth (birth to butcher in as little as 7 or 8 weeks) and a good feed to weight gain conversion. The are other options but they do not rival the Cornish X in what a lot of people like in a chicken - oversized breasts. Many folks raise dual purpose birds - hens for eggs, cockerels for butchering - but again at nearly double the time it takes for Cornish...and they still won't be as big. Some say these birds have a better flavor. Other breeds like Freedom Rangers are said to deliver the best of both worlds - reasonably fast growth and a flavor of that of the dual purpose breeds. Best of luck on your decision!

What are you looking for in a chicken? Are you looking strictly for a meat chicken (grows to weight in 7-12wks) or are you looking for both layers and meat birds? (Meat birds are called broilers). Cockerals get bigger faster but they crow, so if you're in a suburban or urban setting, you won't want these.

Cackle's site says they have the following: (If click on the category, it takes you to the bottom of the page where they tell you what's included in each category and pricing.)

Jumbo Cornish Cross - these are the big white meat birds - they grow fastest
Red Broilers - these are the big red meat birds - they grow in about 12 weeks
Hungry Man's special - a mix of big white meat birds AND assorted (their choice) egg layer pullets
Frypan special - all cockerals, mixed bag of what you get - grow to size in 4-6 months
Heavy Barnyard special - mostly cockerals, some pullets, grow to size in 4-6 months
Special Heavy assorted - mixed bag of whatever the hatchery gives you, unknown grow out times.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Do you want dark meat or white meat? Dark meat, I'd pick the Red Broilers. White meat, the Cornish Cross.

If you want to add layers to your flock and don't particularly care about the breeds chosen for you, pick the Hungry Man's special. It seems like a good deal - but the meat birds will outgrow the layers quickly in the brooder, so then you'll need 2 brooders. And two runs. And two tractors/coops.

I could not pick any of the last three options - I'm not allowed a rooster! (I've learned that CX's don't crow, the Red Broilers do!)

Back
Top Bottom