Whats the dimesions on your nest boxes... Pictrues are helpful

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Everett500, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Everett500

Everett500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    trying to get an idea on the best demsions for a heavy bread of chicken such as brahma's and wydonettes, also while were at it whats the smallest door size i can make for the chickens to get out into there run? Thank you

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    My nesting boxes are about 12" wide by 14" deep, and around 12" tall. I'm sure the average is about 12x12" for large breeds. As for the door, I went big (1' wide by 1 1/2' tall) but I know there are people with smaller doors.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I made mine for very large birds since I also have turkey... 17 inches out and 16 inches in width between the dividers. The entire box is about 7.5 feet in length.

[​IMG]

My coop is done now, but this is apparently the last picture I took of the nest boxes from the outside....
    [​IMG]

ETA: as for the pop door, I don't remember the exact dimensions, but you can click on My Coop in my signature and I have all the dimensions for everything on my coop there. I built that door on the larger side, too.

4. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

here are mine...I think they are 12x12? I have LF girls...that is a large buff orp., 2 BCM, a medium black cochin and a very large splash cochin..it doesn't look likes she fits in there but she does...she is broody...
    [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This is just one of several threads on this forum showing nesting boxes. I'm sometimes amazed at what some people's imaginations can come up with.

Nesting Boxes
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41108

I made mine 16" x 16' x 16" high. 12" x 12" would be big enough for your large chickens, but I like to give them some extra room. Sometimes more than one hen gets in there at the same time. I've occasionally had 3 hens in one nest at the same time.

My pop door is 12" x 12". I've had a Midget White turkey use it, so that will be big enough for your chickens.

6. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    We have several sizes so the girls can choose their own. We made wooden nests that are 18" square, and then we gave the girls recycled plastic milk crates turned on their sides which are 12" square and a smaller nest that is 10" square. The big ones seem to be the most popular as my hens seems to like to share the same nest.

7. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Here's our nestbox set up my DH built and painted for me. Each box is 12X12 and I think 24 inches tall. The girls love it! Good luck with yours...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pmanseenus1

pmanseenus1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    By far my favorite nesting boxes....and it looks super clean inside [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by