Whats the "dirt" on food grade DE? (Diatomaceous earth)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Dar, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I know this subject has bee talked about many times before but i have a few questions..

I friend of mine just called me in tears...she has been battling head lice with her 2 girls all winter and yep you guessed it...THEY ARE BACK! [​IMG]
    She has tried EVERYTHING from store bought chemicals to natural remedys(Nix, Results, RC lice shampoo, and also tea tree oil- and the tea tree oil shampoo)
    last weekend we coated their hair in mineral oil and they had shower caps on all weekend (friday night we applied the oil and nit picked, re nit picked on saturday night and when all came back clear no nits or bugs found we washed out the oil on sunday night)
    we spent the day on saturday at the local laundry mat and washed and dried everything in the house that could be washed (we were thinking the commercial dryers are hotter then her home dryer)

she has used the "nit picking" service offered by our local health dept (at about $80 per child)

She/we are ready to try something else...I was wondering about using food grade DE

from my research as long as its food grade it "should" be harmless to the kids (ages 11 & 9) but will it be effective on head lice?

enough about the bug side of my questions...i have also read about people taking DE for worms and other parasites..whats up with that?

edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    anyone please help me......miss prissy...purple chicken...nifty...

3. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I dont know about DE..

At one of my jobs there was an out break of lice.. And to get rid of it I used Flea and Tick shampoo for dogs. The kind that supposed to kill for up to 7 days.. Until the out break was contained in all of my fellow employee's houses. I continued to use it at least once a week.. Never got it back.. It worked for me..

4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] I dont have an answer re: DE either..but... we had an outbreak at our sons previous school 2 years ago and YEOW! kids kept passing it back and forth - come to find out no one was doing backpacks!! [​IMG] Yep... they'd put their jackets IN their backpacks or cubbies...but no one cleaned the backpacks themselves - vicious circle.

I wish I had some answers for you.. I'd think if it worked on chickens with lice it'd work on people lice.. but I doubt it'd work on the eggs. Then again, its not very good to breath in or get near the mucous membranes either...

I dont know [​IMG] Sorry hun.. just make sure backpacks are checked..and gloves too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by