What's the dirt on Seramas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by beakkeeper, Jan 20, 2009.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Everyone raves about these lil bundles of attitude! What's so cool about these guys? Tell me! tell me tell me! It'll give me an excuse to love ANOTHER breed (at that one to the list of say, 36!!! lol) Why do you like YOUR Serama? Is he cute? cocky? goofy? Does she lay well? brood well? have the CUTEST little tail?

Pics are the best... *wink, wink, cough, nudge nudge* [​IMG]

2. beakkeeper

Jul 20, 2008
    And why are they so hard to hatch? What colors do they come in?

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

they are absolutely cute!!! [​IMG] my mom has a pair of silkie seramas and they are adorable! (but expensive [​IMG] )

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I have serama, the big thing about hatching is early spring very early, very late fall and winter i've found that if you try to hatch serama after easter rates go right down the toilet. unless you let mama do it, but servival rates go down also. The hatches before easter I rarely lose any youngsters. after i lose them left a right for no reason. Once they get to 'teenage' it not so bad. If you get them to adult ,very friendly with attitudes. All colors

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, after you've seen one in person, you will be able to answer your own question!!! LOL They are absolutely adorable and just have this "presence". I don't know how to describe it. Search on the internet and you can find lots of gorgeous pics.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have one Serama and the fun thing is you never know what color your going to get [​IMG] They do not have a specific color. Mine has red, black, white, green sheen, and brown all in the same bird. He's got attitude but he's never bite me or anyone else. Never flogged anyone either. He's pretty small so I can't seen him even trying LOL They are indeed hard to hatch out though!

7. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    As a chicken geneticist I must say they are most interesting for their colorgenes. A lot of seramas have sexlinked chocolate, unknown diluters, autosomal red etcetera. For instance the cocopop color range:
    Cockerels with silver hackles and gold breast and black/chocolate tail.
    You can get gold breast with a white lace and upon that a black/chocolate lace!

8. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i breed and show seramas u can see pics of mine on my website. [​IMG] they r the worlds smallest and friendliest chicken. the roos have a crow that is 1/3 the loudness of any other breeds crow so make great house chickens specially for those in the city. [​IMG]

they do not breed true to color there is 2500+ color variations. they r adorable and love thier people and [​IMG] to pose and show off for the cam and anyone who will watch. they can lay eggs up to 25% of their body weight which i think is neat. mine lay from pigeon size to silkie size eggs. i've never had one go broody yet least not that i have seen but i hear they r excellent broodies, i usually incubate mine in my sportsmans.

to get higher hatch rates i use the carton method. they go in the trays in egg cartons from set to hatch. mine always hatch on day 19 or sometimes 18 in the turners,lol. so u don't got to wait the extra few days as with other breeds. we also do humidity and temp different which has helped increase # of hatchlings but i have to ask DH the settings.

once u see one in person u will be in [​IMG]!! i like them for their temperment, they r awesome birds in shows, their tails and their poses and how they carry themselves is just gorgous all the way around. they r wonderful with children. i hatch all year with them. my first ones i hatched beginning of last spring and they have been in weather down to -7 and i have not lost 1, despite what people say they r very hardy as long as u get them out early enough to adapt to the weather otherwise they can't withstand usually under 40 degrees.

those r just what i can think of off the top of my head, i hope that helps. add them to ur list i promise u will not be disapointed!! [​IMG]
    silkie

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

They are just so cute and full of attitude. They come in many colors and in silkied too.
    [​IMG]
    Who couldn't love this!
    Mine like to snuggle and talk to me. They are just like little pocket chickens.

10. beakkeeper

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:I wanna Serama! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by