what's the effect of low temps? what would you do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dancingchicken77, Nov 16, 2008.

1. dancingchicken77

dancingchicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    ok after my bad hatch (3 eggs, all clear), i thought i should calibrate my brand new r-com 3 incubator being giving it a second run. i realise that the 3 clear eggs, no embryo whatsoever, means the eggs were not fertile to begin with. however calibrating to check the temp is right makes sense, yes?

well the incubator thermometer insists the temp is 37.5 celsius (99.5F), but my glass thermometer (the retailer includes its own callibration thermometer with each incubator) is reading only 34/35 degrees celsius (93.2 / 95 F) and i've tried re-callibrating 3 times over the past 3.5 hours.

if i wait until i can get the retailer to supply a replacement incubator, the fertile eggs (different breed, from different breeder) i have waiting to go in the incubator may be too far gone. they were laid on the 11th.

what would you do? put the eggs in? wait to get a replacement incubator?

HELP!

carrie

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    ok after my bad hatch (3 eggs, all clear), i thought i should calibrate my brand new r-com 3 incubator being giving it a second run. i realise that the 3 clear eggs, no embryo whatsoever, means the eggs were not fertile to begin with.

No, that does not mean they were infertile. Alot of things can prevent embryo development. Temps, age of egg, handling of egg, etc. 3 eggs in a bator isn't the best odds for a hatch at any rate.

however calibrating to check the temp is right makes sense, yes?

I would double check the temp but an R-com is usually right on the money from understanding.

well the incubator thermometer insists the temp is 37.5 celsius (99.5F), but my glass thermometer (the retailer includes its own callibration thermometer with each incubator) is reading only 34/35 degrees celsius (93.2 / 95 F) and i've tried re-callibrating 3 times over the past 3.5 hours.

I would call the R-Com customer service. I would not trust a glass thermometer as the only source to check temps.

if i wait until i can get the retailer to supply a replacement incubator, the fertile eggs (different breed, from different breeder) i have waiting to go in the incubator may be too far gone. they were laid on the 11th.

Eggs can be held out for 10 - 14 days while gathering for incubation. Keep the cool at around 60 degrees and turn them daily.

what would you do? put the eggs in? wait to get a replacement incubator?

3 egg incubators aren't the most reliable. I would get a genesis 1588 by hovabator.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by