What's the gender of my 4 Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hat Lady, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Hat Lady

Hat Lady New Egg

May 7, 2010
    Hi. As a newbie, I'd like help in determining the gender of our four barred rock chicks. They should be a little older than 7 weeks. I'm not 100% sure of their age, because we got them only 8 days ago. These are replacement for the last batch that all turned out to be roos and were re-homed. I was looking back at old pictures of our prior barred rock roos at this age. They had more developed combs and waddles, but I just want to be extra sure. It was a little hard on the kids to give away their pets [​IMG], so I'd like to be double sure this time.

On a sightly separate note:

Can anyone please tell me if there might be something wrong with the chick with the little feathers that stick out on the top of her head? (See top picture, left chick.) She has lighter pigmentation on her face than the other BRs. Her feather color also appears lighter, like a roo's. Does she look healthy? She's extremely shy and timid. She's not as aggressive an eater as the three other chicks and will wait for the left-overs instead of grabbing food right away, like the others. Any suggestions as to what to be on the lookout for?

Thank you for any advice or help you can offer!

2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    The only one that looks slightly boyish is pic 3, but other than that I say all pullets, probably even number 3. I think your little girl that you're worried about is probably fine,but I'm no expert. Good luck!
  3. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    I have 2 barred too, they are both girls and one has a comb that is more red than her sisters, but its BC shes the boss!
    They all look like girls to me!
  4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    The bird on the left in the 1st pic looks different to me. Its legs look whitish not yellow like a BR's.
  5. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Quote:Agreed. its prob a cuckoo maran or somthing
  6. Hat Lady

Hat Lady New Egg

May 7, 2010
    Hmm. The breeder had only barred rocks and black copper marans. Do you think "Sparkle," as our 6 y.o. daughter calls her, could be a mix between the two breeds?? She does look different and have a different temperament than her sisters.
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That first one on the left is a cross, not a pure BR. See the brown on its face and the odd colored plumage, sort of frosty, blurred?
  8. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I think she is lovely![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by