1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by modestmaiden62, Aug 11, 2014.

1. modestmaiden62

modestmaiden62 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2014
    I posted a thread yesterday and most thought them to be ladies except one who guessed a roo based on the saddle feathers but couldn't see them well. This morning I took some more pictures. I hope you will take time and check them out and let me know what you think. I do think the two look different.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Picture 7 the one on the right, does look like a cockerel. the pics yesterday didn't show this comb clearly. How old are they again?

3. modestmaiden62

Jun 10, 2014
    Thanks, I hope more people will check out the photos. I need all the input guys!!!

4. modestmaiden62

Jun 10, 2014
    They are 4 months old. I am debating taking it back and getting another pullet, but it is an hour drive to take him back and an hour back. I just wish I didn't have to do it.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I wouldn't return either one yet. I would expect you would have heard from one by now if one were male. I see pullets getting close to laying.

6. modestmaiden62

Jun 10, 2014
    I hope you are right. I was just reading how one persons chicken didn't crow till it was 6 or 7 months old. I just hope the dude I bought them from still has some to sell if I have to return it later. Well I'll keep an ear out and see if I hear anything.
    Thanks,

7. pgrenna81

pgrenna81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Monson,Ma
    my cockerel didn't crow until about 6- months and then he let rip, I had suspicions but that sealed the deal. He made a great cacciatore this weekend

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by