whats the general rule about giving water right after

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    wormers or say antibiotics...? does it dilute it too much.? remember reading about I believe Valzaben that it was recommended...
    cant remember when and not exactly what I read on this forum..
    Because that Safegguard paste etc is so thick and others stuff so bitter
    just wanna know, so dont yuck up the process.
    thanks

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There is no problem giving water right after, just do not add the wormer (such as Valbazen) to water, so they get the proper amount. Some wormers, such as piperazine, are added to water, but most are not. Because it depends on what medicine you are giving, as to how it is diluted, they all won't be mixed the same way. I don't know of anything that would be affected by giving water afterward. If you have a specific medicine to ask about the dilution, I could try to help you.

3. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    naw just wanted to offer each chicken a drink from their cup or glass thats in their coop
    I didnt know if it affected say, Safeguard, etc and as it went down their throat from the oral syringe it it got diluted too much. Since I offered wtr right afterward. causes its chalky looking. Only a few would drink any period afterwards. some quite a lot. Mostly they are PO,ed..afterwards...
    thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by