What's the greatest piece of "junk" you've ever picked up? :P

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fierlin1182, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    We get American Pickers on TV down here. I like watching that show, it's intriguing looking at all the old, rusty relics they pick out of those junk yards. What's the best bargain you have ever found? We haven't found anything worth much, but picked out the collection of paintings that helped us settle in when we moved house for less than $15 at a garage sale.

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Nothing valuable, just cool: In a pile of machine parts, a 2.5 ft dia. brass decorative plate with indonesian decoration - it was so tarnished at first it looked like a big gear. Also, the complete home and 3 vehicle CB set up, with 25ft antenna, less than $50, from the early 70's, with ultra cool hand microphone. And my fav., the 50's aluminum and leather office chair, looks straight from a movie set - must weight 30 lbs in solid aluminum base - $5.

I once made a bet with ds, to find a metal 5-6ft crowbar and other heavy duty gardening stuff. Ten minutes out on garage sale hunting, he called, the whole pile was $20 - crowbar, picks, shovels...wow. Now no rock or stump stands a chance, and there's no excuse for breaking my spade handles.

3. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    There's someone who lives near us who sells old rusted parts of tractors and other machinery. Could someone clue me in on what people buy these for? He's got a pretty successful business going on!

4. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

ray's two cents :

There's someone who lives near us who sells old rusted parts of tractors and other machinery. Could someone clue me in on what people buy these for? He's got a pretty successful business going on!

People restore old tractors and they are quite collectible. I have a 1949 John Deere model B and a 1937 Mc Cormick Deering F-12 sitting in my front yard right now. They are my favorite finds![​IMG]

5. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:People restore old tractors and they are quite collectible. I have a 1949 John Deere model B and a 1937 Mc Cormick Deering F-12 sitting in my front yard right now. They are my favorite finds![​IMG]

Oh, that's cool! I would never have the patience to do something like that. They must be pretty impressive. [​IMG]

6. JD4570

There are also antique tractor shows and pulls. You ought to go to one, they're a lot of fun![​IMG]

7. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    We often get antique car/motorbike events around here, but never heard of a tractor one! That would be great. I find larger machinery more interesting than cars. [​IMG]

8. JD4570

I was wondering do you get RFDtv in your area? It's a ag/rural type network. Have show on just about everything in the country including old tractors.

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Yard ornaments.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

rabbit ear shotgun. A friend found it for a song an just gave it to me....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by