whats the hardiest winter breed of standard chicken?????????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lcw1995, Dec 18, 2010.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    i have lost all of my non-hardy breeds over the "pre-winter" so far.
    the other night i lost a serama that fell off the roost and froze to death.
    last night i lost a sebright hen that froze to death, and im about to loose another sebright pair and a rooster to the one lost last night, as well as a half-grown chick.
    so what im going to do is get rid of the rest of my flock this spring...
    keep 2 roosters and 6-8 hens of a really winter hardy breed, keep a trio or quad of call ducks, some guineas, some peafowl, and some bobwhite quail.

so what is a popular, winter hardy breed of chicken????
    thanks.cole.

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Chanteclers probably have the reputation of being cold hardiest. Small combs and very small wattles.

Where do you live? Even in northern Michigan in an unheated, uninsulated coop my birds all live quite nicely. I have several different breeds too.

Breeds with smallish single combs like Australorps and Welsummers will do better than large combed birds like Leghorns.

Larger chickens like Plymouth Rocks and New Hampshires fare better than smaller, skinnier chickens

Breeds with non-single combs: pea, rose, walnut are more frostbite resistant than those with single combs. Brahmas, Buckeyes, Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, dominiques, rose-comb RIR and Hamburgs are some examples

Fluffy birds like Cochins, Wyandottes, Brahmas, Orpingtons and Dorkings all prefer cooler weather to hot although short-legged Dorkings have trouble in snow.

Some breeds like Rhode Island Reds, Old English Games, Sussex, Delawares, Marans, Campines and Naked Necks all are cold hardy breeds but they tend to have large combs that may need a little more attention to avoid frostbite, especially for the roosters.

Most breeds as long as they have shelter, food and water will survive. Heck, my cochins even hang out in the SHADE on sunny cold days. My hybrid hens with large combs get a bit of frostbite at the tips but they still lay all winter long.

Good luck and I hope this gives you an idea of a good chicken breed for your needs.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  3. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Rose comb rhode island reds. Tough a nails as a rhode island red and a comb that is perfect for cold weather. bob

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Ameraucanas, whats your really hardy breed you mentioned?

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What about those Icelandic chickens?

6. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:they have single combs, at least the one I know of. And they are awful thin, they would probably freeze awful fast.

7. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    EE's
    Brahmas
    Chanteclers
    Russian Orloffs
    Wyandottes

8. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    These Buckeyes are supposed to do real well in cold weather: http://www.buckeyechickens.com/

Other
    good cold hardy breeds include Chanteclers, Wyandottes, and Brahmas. I try to stay away from feathered legs though because they track mud into the nest box.

10. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Buff Orpingtons crossed with EEs also make great cold hardy chickens, heres an example although it would be nice if he had a smaller pea comb:[​IMG]and heres his half siblings by the same BO father but with a different EE mom:[​IMG]and heres there sister:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by