What's the heaviest lbs you let CornishX grow?

I had a hen once that was accidently shipped with my layers. Since she was all by herself and seeming to do ok with the rest of the flock, I kept her. She lived to be 5 years old. Im not sure what she weighed, but it was alot. I had to cut the door on the coop out so she could fit through it.

We had ours for about a year. Then hens were great layers...the roosters got up to 20 pounds And most of them died due to their legs giving out. One of the roosters is still alive at 16 months but he is getting to heavy to get around good..he is huge!!!the hens are still laying machines...big ones with extra large eggs.

Quote:
th.gif

WOW! I had never heard of these Cornish X living so long. Always hear that they MUST be slaughtered because of health problems. I wonder what you'd get to cross a Cornish x hen to a dual purpose rooster?? Yummy.

Realistically, what is the heaviest wt to slaughter at before the problems set in???

My roo's were 9.5 pounds after processing so probably somewhere abouts 12-14 pounds, and the hens were the same but just at a later age. I didn't let any of them get over 6 months old, but now I wish I would have kept some of them!
he.gif

last year I processed mine at just over 10 weeks, some of the roos were 9.5 pounds processed, my smallest hen was 6 lbs-- so, most of them weighed 7-9 lbs. This year I am processing at 8 weeks for a lower weight.

Back
Top Bottom