what's the latest day you've ever had a BROODY hatch?

Kelly FG

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Ridge
I'm at the end of day 22 with one egg & first time Broody, I swear I see something moving ever so slightly in the egg, its super dark brown so I don't see anything definative...I candled VERY quickly today because everyone else that set the same day as me has chicks already.

I'm planning on taking the egg from her on Saturday, that would be day 24.

Any & all help needed PLEASE:(

I think mine was day 27 or 28..I had a couple eggs that didnt stink and looked real promising candled..Mother hen already abandond the nest so if i didnt intervien they would of died so I decided that they couldnt get out on their own so i helped them get out of that shell..and brought 2 very good looking hens into my barn!

I think most people frown on what i did,but i got 2 more healthy chickens out of the deal.If i would of just chunked them like most people would of i wouldnt of had them.

btw all of her eggs were VERY DARK all i could see was some viens around the airsac.the rest was pitch black.

Last edited:
I'm planning on leaving the egg with her till day 24, does anyone think there is hope after that?

Kelly, I've been reading most of your posts, and wanted to say you ask the greatest questions.
yippiechickie.gif

I would leave the eggs until Monday. I've had chicks hatch under broody on the 25 and 26 days before.
suebee

Thank you Suebee, you give me hope!!!!!
I'm just so bummed for my girl if she sat all this time for nothing.
Is there anything else you suggest I do in these last few days???

Kelly, nothing really...just keep cool water by her. Be prepared to call the chicken social services when they hatch. My broody hatched 5 Wed. and Thurs. and she's trying to teach them to scratch around for food. She's kicking up the bedding and if they're in the way they get tossed! All they want to do is sleep, so if they try to get under her she moves around and steps on them.
barnie.gif
She doesn't mean to do this...she's a silkie, known for outstanding broodiness and mothering skills but this has happened every time I hatch chicks under my silkie momma.
rant.gif

No chick has ever been injured but it's hard to watch!

Back
Top Bottom