1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what's the latest ever you've heard and seen peeping/pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangsaguaro, Jun 22, 2011.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I'm curious for those of you that are experienced at hatching eggs basically from Day 18 on what is the latest you've ever heard and seen peeping and pipping?

I'm asking because currently I have about 16 eggs on Day 19. And so far nothing. Haven't heard anything from the chicks or seen eggs moving around. I candled at Day 17 and everyone looked good, saw movement, and got rid of the earlier quitters. I know I'm probably just worrying to much as I am sure most of us do. However earlier in the year (end of April) I hatched a bunch of chicks. I had one hatch on Day 18 and another on Day 19. So not sure if this batch they are just late bloomers and are gonna make me wait another 2 days before anything goes on. Temp has been pretty much stable the whole time going between 99-100 degrees. Humidity I tried to keep at around 35%. Tried to do a dry incubation but where I'm located doing a total dry incubation of not adding any water to the incubator the humidity would have been way to low at 5-10%. So I did try to keep humidity at around 35% the whole time by adding water when needed. A few times it dipped somewhat low but luckily I don't work so am able to keep a close eye on temp/humidity during the day, and added water as needed. Usually added once a day and generally was in the morning hours.

Thanks

2. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Well idk if anyone will agree with me but you could do a float test??? Or candle them again.. I can't candle so I floated them..

3. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I'm able to candle that's not a problem. I just don't want to take them out since I have the humidity stable to where it needs to be. And don't want to take a chance of them getting shrink wrapped because I took out to candle them. If others think it is ok to take out to candle I will. But my impression was not to open up the incubator from Days 18-21 because you don't want to lose the humidity in there for the hatching chicks. Unless you need to add water to help w/ humidity. And by removing them to candle, humidity is going to be lost.

4. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Now don't quote me on this I am purely going off what I have read... But if you are concerned and you do it quick then I believe they will be fine... First hatch here.. Soo I am NOT an expert by ANY means... As long as they aren't pipped it should be alright....? If you are utterly concerned about it do what another BYC'er did... Turn on the shower full heat let the bathroom steam up so you can almost see the steam and unplug the bator rush it in there plug it in and then take them out and candle [​IMG] no humidity lost no heat lost ^_^
    Then when you are done reverse the process aka put the eggs back close it yada yada..

5. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:LOL. Easier said than done. I don't live in a house so to say. I live in a 5th wheel trailer and very limited space. So my incubator is out in my tack room where I keep the hay for the horses. Yes, it is an enclosed building w/ a door. But getting to a bathroom w/ a dark room is next to impossible. I have been using the laundry room that is part of the main house to candle since that is the darkest room during the day. Someone else lives in the main house.

6. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:LOL. Easier said than done. I don't live in a house so to say. I live in a 5th wheel trailer and very limited space. So my incubator is out in my tack room where I keep the hay for the horses. Yes, it is an enclosed building w/ a door. But getting to a bathroom w/ a dark room is next to impossible. I have been using the laundry room that is part of the main house to candle since that is the darkest room during the day. Someone else lives in the main house.

I live in a trailer too:barnie I know how you feel.... Well a quick float test should be fine then...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by