1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats the life span?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by k2chickens, Apr 29, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    So I am doing some research on this but everyone has different opinions and I'm sure I could get a more accurate life span asking the question and hearing what everyone here has to say?

What is the life span of a Large Brown Egg that is refrigerated?[​IMG]

Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    That depends on the shell quality, bloom, etc. It's probably at least 2 months, but anything over a month should probably pass the float test before you eat it.

3. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:Float test? what is this?

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    http://busycooks.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/testingeggs.htm

ETA
    - I think that the timeline attached to the wat an egg behaves is in accurate. I'm guessing that a 2-week-old egg from any of our chickens will sink & stay sunk.

Use the guidline for what an egg does in water as a way to know whether it's still any good.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Thanks for the help I will have to try this! Although the farmer who I bought the chicks from said that once he refrigerates them they will stay good for months?!?! Who knows I though this sounded odd?

6. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I've heard and read 6-8 weeks in the fridge.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They'll last a long time - way longer than 4 weeks.

Eggs you buy from the store are marked on the end of the carton with a "Julien date". That's the 365-day year counted out in 3 digits. Jan 1 = 1, Dec 31 = 365. That's not the LAY date, it's the PACKAGING date.

Below that is a sell-by date.

So, for example, a package of eggs marked with the following:
    4/15/09

would have been packaged on March 1, 2009.

I'm guessing that eggs are packaged pretty soon after they're laid (within a week at most). If you're eating the egg by the sell-by date, it's already 6 weeks old.​

8. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    I was thinking store bought eggs would last longer because of preservatives and stuff like that but these would just be fresh from the chicken large brown eggs with no preservatives or anything like that so I figured that would take away from the life span a little...

From that website and stuff they are saying no more then two weeks but I would like to think they would stay good for atleast 4 weeks

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Store bought eggs are often already 3 weeks old when you buy them, and they have no preservatives. They have also had the protective bloom washed off them so they will have a shorter shelf life than a fresh egg. Also, the color of the egg is irrelevant. White or brown, it doesn't matter.

10. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I heard 6 months. Dont know for sure. Mine never last that long! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by